Standard section

You can make in-service withdrawals from your standard accounts only in limited circumstances. These include your funds being subject to a court order (for example, to settle a division of relationship property) or a first-home withdrawal.

Locked section

You can make in-service withdrawals from your locked accounts for the reasons noted above. 

You can also transfer your locked funds to a KiwiSaver scheme at any time. You can keep your accounts in the scheme open, and you and your employer may continue to contribute to either or both sections of the scheme.

You need to be aged 65 or older to be eligible to make withdrawals from your locked account. Use the in-service withdrawal (locked members) form [PDF, 89 KB]. If you're making a withdrawal for a first home or as a previous homeowner, use the first-home withdrawal form [PDF, 608 KB].

If you joined the locked section before 1 July 2019

When you fill in a withdrawal form, you will be asked to confirm that you are opting out of the requirement to have completed 5 or more years' membership of the locked section (or another complying superannuation fund or KiwiSaver scheme) before becoming eligible to make a withdrawal. As a result, from the date of the withdrawal, you will no longer be eligible for government contributions.