We will pay your benefit to your legal personal representatives if you die while you are an active member of UniSaver or while you are entitled to a deferred benefit from the scheme.

How to make a claim

The deceased member’s personal representative(s) or a lawyer acting on their behalf needs to complete form 16 death claim [PDF, 189 KB]. ‘Personal representative’ means the person(s) granted probate (where the deceased left a will) or letters of administration (where the deceased did not leave a will).


Make sure you include the following documentation:

  • Form completed in full.
  • Statutory declaration completed by each personal representative.
  • Certified copy of the death certificate.
  • Certified copy of the will (if the deceased left a will).
  • Certified copy of probate/letters of administration.*
  • Proof of the account that the funds will be paid into. Payment must be paid to an account in the name of a personal representative or a solicitor’s trust account.

* Probate or letters of administration are required for accounts of $15,000 or more. If the balance is less than $15,000, you may be entitled to make a claim under section 65 of the Administration Act 1969. Contact Mercer at unisaver@mercer.com for more information.