First-home withdrawal

UniSaver has a facility in place you can use to access your savings to purchase a first home in New Zealand. You may, with our consent, make a withdrawal from UniSaver to purchase a first home if:

You may apply for a withdrawal to buy a dwelling house on Māori land provided you include with your application evidence of your right to occupy the land, such as a licence to occupy or occupation order.

Limits on amount withdrawn

You can access funds from your standard and locked accounts, including both member and employer contributions. The amount that may be withdrawn must not exceed the balance (adjusted for interest) of your:

The amount withdrawn can only be used towards the purchase of a home in New Zealand and be used to pay all or part of the deposit and/or for final settlement.

Consistency with KiwiSaver first-home withdrawal benefit

We may change the terms of this benefit in the future if we believe it is necessary to ensure the benefit is consistent with the first-home withdrawal benefit available under the KiwiSaver Act 2006 and that UniSaver continues to meet the complying fund rules.

Retained members

If you’re a retained member, you may also be eligible for a first-home withdrawal. However, you need to maintain a minimum balance of $5,000 in order to remain a member. When deciding how much to withdraw, you need to take into account that the monthly fee deducted from your account could cause your balance to drop below that level.


An administration fee will be charged if we consent to the application. This fee is subject to change. See tax and fees for the current fee.

Applying for a first-home withdrawal

When the sale and purchase agreement has been signed, you need to complete a First-home withdrawal form and send it and accompanying documentation to UniSaver’s administrator Mercer. The documentation required includes:

Mercer needs to receive the documents at least 10 working days before the terms of settlement under the sale and purchase agreement.

Mercer will process the application ensuring payment is made five working days before the settlement. Payments will be made to the trust account of your solicitor or licensed conveyancer, not to your own bank account.

If the sale does not proceed, the payment made to your solicitor or licensed conveyancer must be returned to Mercer. Mercer will credit the funds back to your accounts.

Subsequent-home withdrawal

You may make a withdrawal to purchase a subsequent home as a previous homeowner in certain circumstances. The application process is the same as above with the following additional steps.

You need to apply to Housing New Zealand to determine whether you are eligible under this category. Housing New Zealand must be satisfied that your financial position in terms of assets and liabilities is what would be expected of a person who has never owned a home.

Housing New Zealand will provide written confirmation if your application is successful. You need to include a copy of this with your first-home withdrawal application to UniSaver.

Government HomeStart grant

Check out the government's HomeStart grant if you're looking to buy your first home. To qualify for a HomeStart grant, you'll need to have been contributing to UniSaver (or a KiwiSaver scheme or complying superannuation fund) for three years or more. The grant is administered by Housing New Zealand and does not come out of your UniSaver funds. You do not have to pay back the grant in most circumstances. Grants are subject to price caps, which vary geographically, and income caps.

Find out more at Housing New Zealand.


back to top